European Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms
Protocol 14, Article 6
Article 27 of the Convention shall become Article
26 and its text shall be amended to read as follows:
Convention Article 26 : Single-judge formation, committees, Chambers and Grand
- To consider cases brought before it, the Court shall sit in a single-judge
formation, in committees of three judges, in Chambers of seven judges and in a
Grand Chamber of seventeen judges. The Court's Chambers shall set up committees
for a fixed period of time.
- At the request of the plenary Court, the Committee of Ministers may, by a
unanimous decision and for a fixed period, reduce to five the number of judges
of the Chambers.
- When sitting as a single judge, a judge shall not examine any application
against the High Contracting Party in respect of which that judge has been
- There shall sit as an ex officio member of the Chamber and the Grand Chamber
the judge elected in respect of the High Contracting Party concerned. If there
is none or if that judge is unable to sit, a person chosen by the President of
the Court from a list submitted in advance by that Party shall sit in the
capacity of judge.
- The Grand Chamber shall also include the President of the Court, the
Vice-Presidents, the Presidents of the Chambers and other judges chosen in
accordance with the rules of the Court. When a case is referred to the Grand
Chamber under Article 43, no judge from the Chamber which rendered the judgment
shall sit in the Grand Chamber, with the exception of the President of the Chamber
and the judge who sat in respect of the High Contracting Party concerned.