European Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms
Protocol 12, Article 2
- Any State may, at the time of signature or when depositing its instrument of
ratification, acceptance or approval, specify the territory or territories to
which this Protocol shall apply.
- Any State may at any later date, by a declaration addressed to the Secretary
General of the Council of Europe, extend the application of this Protocol to
any other territory specified in the declaration. In respect of such territory
the Protocol shall enter into force on the first day of the month following the
expiration of a period of three months after the date of receipt by the
Secretary General of such declaration.
- Any declaration made under the two preceding paragraphs may, in respect of
any territory specified in such declaration, be withdrawn or modified by a
notification addressed to the Secretary General of the Council of Europe. The
withdrawal or modification shall become effective on the first day of the month
following the expiration of a period of three months after the date of receipt
of such notification by the Secretary General.
- A declaration made in accordance with this article shall be deemed to have
been made in accordance with paragraph 1 of Article
56 of the Convention.
- Any State which has made a declaration in accordance with paragraph 1 or 2 of
this article may at any time thereafter declare on behalf of one or more of the
territories to which the declaration relates that it accepts the competence of
the Court to receive applications from individuals, non-governmental organisations
or groups of individuals as provided by Article
34 of the Convention in respect of Article
1 of this Protocol.