European Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms
Convention Article 59
Signature and ratification
- This Convention shall be open to the signature of the members of the Council
of Europe. It shall be ratified. Ratifications shall be deposited with the
Secretary General of the Council of Europe.
Inserted by Protocol 14, Article 17
- The European Union may accede to this Convention.
Subsequent paragraph numbers increased by 1
- The present Convention shall come into force after the deposit of ten
instruments of ratification.
- As regards any signatory ratifying subsequently, the Convention shall come
into force at the date of the deposit of its instrument of ratification.
- The Secretary General of the Council of Europe shall notify all the members
of the Council of Europe of the entry into force of the Convention, the
names of the High Contracting Parties who have ratified it, and the deposit
of all instruments of ratification which may be effected subsequently.
Done at Rome this 4th day of November 1950, in English and French,
both texts being equally authentic, in a single copy which shall remain deposited
in the archives of the Council of Europe. The Secretary General shall transmit
certified copies to each of the signatories.