European Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms
Convention Article 4
Prohibition of slavery and forced labour
- No one shall be held in slavery or servitude.
- No one shall be required to perform forced or compulsory labour.
- For the purpose of this article the term "forced or
compulsory labour" shall not include:
- any work required to be done in the ordinary course of detention
imposed according to the provisions of Article
5 of this Convention or during conditional release from such
- any service of a military character or, in case of conscientious
objectors in countries where they are recognised, service exacted
instead of compulsory military service;
- any service exacted in case of an emergency or calamity threatening
the life or well-being of the community;
- any work or service which forms part of normal civic obligations.